The tennis player with the best doubles ranking in Brazil, Rafael Matos and his Spanish partner David Vega Hernandez did not confirm their favoritism and ended up being eliminated in the debut of the Australian Open by the Monegasque Hugo Nys and the Polish Jan Zielinski. After a match decided on the details, Matos told TenisBrasil that the opponents were more efficient in the decisive points.
The gaucho analyzed the defeat in the first round. “We knew it would be a tough game. They like the fast court a little more than we do. I believe the game was defined in the details, mainly because they returned better than us and put more pressure on our service”, said Matos after the defeat by 6/7 (4-7), 6/4 and 6/4.
In four direct clashes against Nys and Zielinski, the Brazilian’s partnership won two and lost two. Matos tried to explain the latest setback. “On average games they broke two and we broke one. In the end, their merit was that they managed to play better than us in the most important points”, highlighted the tennis player number 29 in the world ranking of doubles.
In the second set of the match, Matos and Vega had a chance to return the break, when they lost by 4/5 and had a 0-40. But the Polish Jan Zielinski ended up playing very well and being quite aggressive on the serve. “We played the eight points well, but they managed to confirm the service”, lamented the 27-year-old left-hander.
Matos is now concentrating his efforts on the mixed doubles bracket, alongside compatriot Luísa Stefani . The Brazilians face the Chinese duo Xinyun Han and Zhizhen Zhang in their debut. “I think we have a very good connection, because we are very calm on the court”, said the double player, who already played alongside Stefani during the United Cup at the turn of the year.
According to the tennis player from Rio Grande do Sul, it is difficult to create expectations in mixed doubles competitions because they are unpredictable. However, the good relationship with Stefani off the court could lead the Brazilians to the dreamed title. “You can’t really tell what’s going to happen, so constant communication with Luísa could be a determining factor for us.”
‘Situation beyond my control’, says Stefani about partner withdrawal
Luísa Stefani’s participation in the Australian Open will be restricted to the mixed doubles bracket with Matos. She would also play in the women’s doubles in Melbourne, but the American Caty McNally, who would be her partner, withdrew from the tournament due to a thigh injury , one hour before the opening match scheduled for this Wednesday. They would face Australians Jaimee Fourlis and Astra Sharma.
“Unfortunately my partner withdrew. Very tough situation and beyond my control. Ball forward. I have to keep my head up and take the good energies of the United Cup and the Adelaide title last week to the mixed double with Matos tomorrow . I love the Australian Open and I will enjoy this time here until the end”.